I’ve been a neglectful blogger, I know.. you see, I’m going on a big holiday across the bottom of Africa in just over a week and that’s consumed my every moment this last month – I’m an over-the-top planner when it comes to my holidays, every minute must be used effectively!
good news is that I’m all set, so my mind is free to think of other things again.. like breakfast on a monday morning..
I often struggle keeping full after breakfast. I thought eggs would be my answer. but dish me out a three egg omelette and wholegrain toast at 9am, and I’m still starving by 10:30.
I like this breakfast because it actually does keep me full for longer. I pack it full fibre with rolled oats, chia seeds and flax seeds as well as protein with eggs, whey powder, nuts etc. and the touch of espresso is heavenly..
it’s also super quick, adaptable and fuss free to make, so I pop it in the oven on a sunday and my breakfast is good to go all week. perfect for the dash-and-go from the gym to the office. certainly beats out the cravings for grabbing a coffee and a croissant from the cafe downstairs….
this is also a great way to eat oatmeal in the summer as it doesn’t ‘warm up your insides’ as much as a bowl of steaming oatmeal.. adding berries and yogurt makes it really refreshing..
preheat oven to 180C and grease either a loaf pan or muffin tin with liners.
in one medium sized bowl pop in and mix thoroughly:
- 2 cups of rolled oats (don’t use quick oats)
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup of pecans, roughly chopped (tastes beautiful if they’re quickly toasted first)
- 1 tsp baking powder (gluten-free if needed)
- 2 tbs cinnamon, ground
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (whole or pieces)
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbs flax seeds, soaked in some warm water (optional)
- 3 tbs chia seeds, soaked in some warm water (optional)
- 4 heaped tbs whey powder (optional, you may like to use LSA or bran instead)
** you may want to add sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds or other nuts
in another medium bowl add together and whisk to combine:
- 1 cup of dairy or nut-based milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of agave, maple syrup and/or honey (to your sweetness preference, I used 1/4 cup)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp powdered espresso, or a strong shot of espresso (I did the later as we dont have instant coffee in my house)
- 3 tbs coconut oil, melted (you could use butter if you dont have any)
add the wet ingredients to the dry, and mix until just combined. pop into a baking dish or into a muffin tin for individual portions. bake for about 30-40 minutes until set (the muffin-sized will take a shorter time).
I served mine up with co-yo (coconut milk yogurt, to die for!) and fresh banana. would also be fabulous with milk or creme fraiche, and fresh berries, apple and/or passion fruit.
keep leftovers in the fridge, and reheat in the microwave to serve.